Monday, September 15, 2008

"It's a Hard-knock Life..."

Okay, okay. In my second year of teaching, I have gotten better at the craft of teaching and I no longer have to go to bed at 3:00 am, making worksheets and setting the alarm. I no longer have an anxiety attack when adolescents enter the classroom. HOWEVER.

It's a hard-knock life being a teacher. Sure, I don't teach in the Bronx or carry a hand gun, but I have resorted to hustling...
Read the following *true* story:
STUDENT: Ms. Sun, can I borrow a pencil again? You can hold on to my ID until I give it back.
ME: Mmmm, no. One dollar, please.
STUDENT: Say what? (Pause. She's not joking.) Ok, fine.
OTHER STUDENT: Hey, that's my pencil!!
ME: Finders keepers. Losers were not there.

The next day I am pleased to hear that the pen I sold the student ran out of lead in the next class. He has not forgotten his pencil since. Darn.
Last night, I was at a restaurant and my credit card was declined. I do not spend an extravagant amount. I buy all my clothes at the Goodwill or Ross. I teach and go to grad school at the same time, but Teach For America pays for half of my tuition. I have no car payments or student loans. Why am I poor??
In order to get a raise of $8,000 more each year, I need to complete grad school and get my Masters degree. The lady in the front office works twice as hard as me and has worked at the same job for years and years. She has a family and she gets paid $400 less than I do each month. Why do we put so much emphasis on education in America and shortchange the ones who educate our children? Why am I poor??
The current plan is to teach for another year to get that extra $8,000 and then going to Taiwan to teach English. The teachers are paid more since the cost of living is lower. The average monthly rent is about $250 and you can get a meal for under $5. Teachers enjoy more respect than here in the U.S. (My students ask why I am a teacher if I "can do better.") The cost of health insurance is a fraction of ours here since they follow a socialized system. (Universal health care, anyone?) I would be able to live with family and get acquainted with Taiwan. Most importantly, I can better understand the Taiwan education system and then return to work on Education Policy.


"Ms. Sun, why you be hustling your own students?!"

@LOH@

1 comment:

Adam said...

"every day i'm hustlin'. every day i'm hustlin'." oh poor kids, learning a lesson though, for sure.

I'm reading Eats, Shoots & Leaves now. P.S.